Hippodrome & Carbon MonoxideSteveL
I started practicing personal injury was in Waterloo, Iowa. The second or third year it occurred to me it wouldn’t be long before I was out of business because people would figure out how to stop injuring themselves and other people. But, I’m still here.
Forty years of practicing personal injury law in Iowa and no way did I think I’d see 77 people getting poisoned at a public even in Waterloo. Carbon monoxide levels at over 300 ppm when death can occur at 200 ppm. I’ve seen human poisoning with heaters, furnaces and at one time in the 80’s at UNI where delivery or maintenance trucks backed up to a dock where the intake vents were placed exactly in line with most truck exhaust pipes. We called it a sick building, that caused all sorts of health problems for the occupants.
Yesterday, I read this story on KCCI’s website and wonder, “What were they thinking?”, “Were they thinking?”.
The answer is, “Probably not as much as they should have been.”
Carbon monoxide is a serious problem for humans. If you don’t know that you should. And you should be getting your house furnace checked every year in the fall before the cold weather makes your furnace work overtime trying to keep you warm.
So, I am left to wonder, how could the air get so foul with toxic levels reaching 300 parts per million when the Consumer Product Safety Commission states 200 PPM can possibly lead to death? Your guess is as good as mine.
I would think the folks who put these shows on, Monster Truck Rally’s, have the necessary equipment to test the air to determine if the facility is an appropriate venue for monster trucks to be revving their engines and doing whatever it is they do.
And then I would think the facility management would also have some idea of the monoxide levels to know when to air the place out. After all, isn’t the idea to put on a safe event?
I’ll never be out business. Never.