Dallas County MVA Caused by a Failure to Yield the Right of Way
A December 8, 2023 MVA between a pickup truck and a BMW in Dallas County resulted in the non-fault driver’s death. Report from the Iowa State Patrol. The BMW drove into the pickup as the pickup was making a left turn.
You might wonder how does the officer know who to cite or if they should cite anyone? Remember, one driver died so of the two drivers there was only one who could be interviewed.
- The pickup truck driver can be interviewed and his explanation may indicate fault.
- The physical evidence at the scene.
- The location of the initial impact as indicated by debris.
- Skid marks.
- Witnesses to the crash.
- Passenger statements.
- Estimated speed of the one vehicle versus the posted speed limit.
- The roadway.
- The relative view of the drivers.
- Whatever can be seen inside of the vehicles and what that might indicate.
That would be a start. Condolences to everyone involved.
- VEHICLE 1 WAS WESTBOUND ON HIGHWAY 141,
- ATTEMPTING TO MAKE A LEFT TURN ONTO C AVE
- VEHICLE 2 WAS EASTBOUND ON HIGHWAY 141
- VEHICLE 1 FAILED TO YIELD THE RIGHT OF WAY AND TURNED INTO THE PATH OF VEHICLE 2
- VEHICLE 2 STRUCK VEHICLE 1, SENDING THE DRIVER OF VEHICLE 2 INTO THE SOUTH DITCH,
WHERE HE DIED